The writer of Ecclesiastes exhorts youth to think about God while they are young. The challenge is to really consider and remember God now before the days come when health fails. Here is how the New Living Translation puts it.
Ecclesiastes 12 New Living Translation (NLT)
1Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, “Life is not pleasant anymore.” 2 Remember him before the light of the sun, moon, and stars is dim to your old eyes, and rain clouds continually darken your sky. 3 Remember him before your legs—the guards of your house—start to tremble; and before your shoulders—the strong men—stoop. Remember him before your teeth—your few remaining servants—stop grinding; and before your eyes—the women looking through the windows—see dimly.
4 Remember him before the door to life’s opportunities is closed and the sound of work fades. Now you rise at the first chirping of the birds, but then all their sounds will grow faint.
5 Remember him before you become fearful of falling and worry about danger in the streets; before your hair turns white like an almond tree in bloom, and you drag along without energy like a dying grasshopper, and the caperberry no longer inspires sexual desire. Remember him before you near the grave, your everlasting home, when the mourners will weep at your funeral.
6 Yes, remember your Creator now while you are young, before the silver cord of life snaps and the golden bowl is broken. Don’t wait until the water jar is smashed at the spring and the pulley is broken at the well. 7 For then the dust will return to the earth, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.
- RT @StoriesByEli: After 4 years @stlpublicradio, next week will be my last. This was a hard choice, since I loved being a local science rep…Wil's Daily Feed 15 minutes ago
- RT @shemjay93: @roywoodjr War And Peace We Are Proud Wholesome Awesome Possum We All Pray We Also Preach Weird And Peculiar Why Are Peanuts…Wil's Daily Feed 14 hours ago
- RT @JoeNBC: "His life has been marked by cruel losses. Losing one child has been a nightmare for me. But to lose two children and his wife?…Wil's Daily Feed 14 hours ago
- RT @PDXzane: Portland police puncture all four tires of snack van tonight https://t.co/WzHh6OndgdWil's Daily Feed 14 hours ago
- RT @peterbakernyt: Trump: “We’re doing very well.” Coronavirus deaths over the last 7 days: Australia: 70 Canada: 37 France: 51 Germany:…Wil's Daily Feed 14 hours ago