The writer of Ecclesiastes exhorts youth to think about God while they are young. The challenge is to really consider and remember God now before the days come when health fails. Here is how the New Living Translation puts it.
Ecclesiastes 12 New Living Translation (NLT)
1Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, “Life is not pleasant anymore.” 2 Remember him before the light of the sun, moon, and stars is dim to your old eyes, and rain clouds continually darken your sky. 3 Remember him before your legs—the guards of your house—start to tremble; and before your shoulders—the strong men—stoop. Remember him before your teeth—your few remaining servants—stop grinding; and before your eyes—the women looking through the windows—see dimly.
4 Remember him before the door to life’s opportunities is closed and the sound of work fades. Now you rise at the first chirping of the birds, but then all their sounds will grow faint.
5 Remember him before you become fearful of falling and worry about danger in the streets; before your hair turns white like an almond tree in bloom, and you drag along without energy like a dying grasshopper, and the caperberry no longer inspires sexual desire. Remember him before you near the grave, your everlasting home, when the mourners will weep at your funeral.
6 Yes, remember your Creator now while you are young, before the silver cord of life snaps and the golden bowl is broken. Don’t wait until the water jar is smashed at the spring and the pulley is broken at the well. 7 For then the dust will return to the earth, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.
- RT @NBCPolitics: Ben & Jerry’s unveils new flavor to support Rep. Cori Bush's public safety bill. nbcnews.to/39l20NxWil's Daily Feed 3 minutes ago
- RT @HealthyLivingMo: Choosing the COVID-19 vaccine means choosing to be free. Get back to the things and people you love. Learn more about…Wil's Daily Feed 14 minutes ago
- RT @RavMABAY: Tonight we begin #Sukkot, our festival of joy and abundant harvest and radiant moon. A season to remind us of our obligations…Wil's Daily Feed 18 minutes ago
- When there was an "invasion" from Central America did any of this happen? twitter.com/MaxHPF/status/…Wil's Daily Feed 19 minutes ago
- RT @sista_theology: Watching the speed of deportations of Haitian immigrants at the border, one can only conclude that “cruelty is the poin…Wil's Daily Feed 7 hours ago